Disable Avira Free Antivirus Pop-up Advertisements
If you have a free antivirus installed on your PC, there’s a pretty good chance that it’s Avira, witch is great for the average person who needs a little protection. I’m using it, and recommend it!
The annoying thing about Avira is the daily pop-up, witch many times is really annoying specially if you are in the middle of a game or a movie… well no more, here’s how you can disable the Avira Antivirus Pop-up Advertisements.
So basically we need remove access to a file as a means of disabling the Avira Antivirus advertisements, and that file is avnotify.exe.
We can cripple avnotify.exe by renaming it, but in this case it won’t put it out of commission. When Avira runs a standard virus signature update, avnotify.exe is automatically replaced if it’s missing. Unfortunately, we’ll have to jump through a few extra hoops so I’ve broken things down for several major versions of Windows:
1. Open the start menu.
2. In Windows XP, Click on Run… and type secpol.msc and press Enter.
- . In Windows Vista & 7, Type secpol.msc in the search-box and open the file.
3. Right-Click on the Folder named Software Restriction Policies and then click on New Software Restriction Policies
4. Go to the folder Additional Rules, and then right click on the box at the right and click on New Path Rule…
5. Click on Browse… and then go to the program files folder of Avira Antivir and locate the file avnotify.exe and then click on OK. Select the Security Level to be Disallowed and then click on OK.
6. Done! No Avira popups again.
Change Update Job Frequency to Daily At A Particular Time
Some users reported that changing the the Avira update job with frequency set to Daily at a particular time can eliminate Avira notifier pop up window. It’s also possible to edit the existing update to this mode.
The above methods should leave you with a nag-free Avira install, at least until an update comes along and wipes out how the ad is currently being called out.